Lots of meetings today and need to bring a ‘hostess’ or ‘chef’ gift.
On a rainy morning Sweet Potato Scones seem like the perfect start.
Besides I had a can of organic sweet potato puree starring me in the face for the last few days…. ok it was more like a week….
The recipe is below but I used organic yogurt and made my own pumpkin spice (recipe below)
I wasn’t thrilled with the crumb (texture) of the interior or the height of the scone. Using yogurt is a tricky thing because it is thicker, it means working the dough more which equals the above. working the dough too much creates more gluten and a slightly heavier crumb/finish. These are very moist but almost too moist… ok I’m being particular but my point is, maybe use buttermilk, cream, whole milk, almond milk or mix the above with the yogurt and just incorporate the dry and liquid for a more ‘biscuit’ style scone. Have fun and enjoy!! Marilyn
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 4 teaspoons organic cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix ingredients in a bowl and store in an airtight container.
- Adjust to taste.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 rounded teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each of baking soda and cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup cold butter shredded into flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh mashed sweet potatoes or I used organic canned from Choices
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or cream/almond milk/whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients
- shred with cheese grater butter until mixture- tossing with hands
- resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, sweet
- potatoes and buttermilk;
- add to dry ingredients just until
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; with lightly floured hands,
- knead dough 10-12 times.
- using large ice cream scoop, drop scoops onto parchment
- Bake at 400° for 16-21 minutes or
- until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- Yield: 12 scones.
- serve within a few hours