Thanksgiving kale and Rainbow Swiss Chard salad– gorgeous!!! Cold or hot /room temp
The cranberries and pumpkin seeds in this dish will brighten up any Thanksgiving table. The sterols and zinc in the pumpkin seeds help your immune system for the cold winter ahead. The earthy sweetness of the kale is set off nicely by the nutty flavour of the quinoa. I use both red and white quinoa for a nice colour variation.
1 cup organic black quinoa (yields 4 cooked cups)
2 1/2 cups water, divided
8 cups kale and/or swiss chard leaves (yields 4 steamed cups), stems removed, cut into ribbons
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted in olive oil and sea salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries etc
Dressing: added lots of olive oil and cumin powder
1/4 cup pumpkin seed butter (use almond butter if you can’t find pumpkin)
1/4 cup apple cider ( I mixed malt and white)
1/2 lemon, juiced (2 tble)
1/2 tsp salt
1. Place quinoa and 1.5 cups of water into a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat for five minutes, then fluff with a fork. Let cool.
2. Place kale and 1 cup water in a large pot and steam for two minutes. Drain well.
3. Place cooked qunioa into kale pot. Add toasted seeds and berries. Mix well to combine.
4. Mix all dressing ingredients together in a bowl and add to pot.
5. Combine well. Serve warm immediately I white oval baking dish with seeds and cranberry garnish or chill and serve.
Makes nine cups.