Easy polenta lasagna
Tue Jan 10 2012
Preparation time 20 minutes | Total 40 minutes | Makes 6 Servings
- 450 g lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 796 mL can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- FOR POLENTA:
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup beef broth, preferably low-sodium
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler. Lightly spray an 8×8-in. square baking dish.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add beef. Using a fork to break up meat, cook until no pink remains, about 2 min. Add onion, garlic and seasoning. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 min.
- Boil milk and broth in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in cornmeal until thickened but still loose, about 1 min. Pour half of polenta into prepared dish and spread to cover bottom. Top with half of meat mixture. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining polenta, meat and cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Let stand 5 min before serving.